Listen to the episode:
Vaping is everywhere these days, to the point where it’s difficult to go for a walk without spotting someone puffing from a vape pen of some kind. But while it’s been touted as a healthier alternative to smoking, vaping still presents significant health risks that dental professionals should address with their patients.
Edie Gibson, RDH, is the CEO and founder of EGibson Consulting, which trains dental teams across the country, as well as an author and international speaker. Edie began her dental career when she was 15, and since then has worked in just about every position a dental office has to offer—though hygienist remains her favorite role. She specializes in implant dentistry and has familiarized herself with the dental risks of smoking and vaping.
In this episode, Edie breaks down the negative effects of vaping, reveals how pervasive the habit has become among the younger generation, and explains how dental professionals can impress the risks of vaping to their patients without coming off as judgmental.
Interview starts: 6:02
– The correlation Edie has noticed between smoking cigarettes and harder drug use.
– Looking at the various chemicals found within cigarettes that are toxic both in tandem and in and of themselves.
– Examining how tobacco companies tried to reach people before it was widely known how dangerous cigarettes were.
– How the levels of nicotine in modern vape pods equate to those in packs of cigarettes.
– What is respiratory distress and how can vaping cause it?
– The reason vaporizer devices themselves can pose a major dental risk.
– How to open a conversation about vaping and its dangers to your patients, especially younger ones.
– Why it’s so essential that dental professionals not take a judgmental stance when discussing the risks of vaping with patients.
– Modern kids’ “Shawshank Redemption” approach to covertly vaping at school.
– How you can determine if your patients have been vaping or smoking.
– A list of resources you can use to educate yourself, your patients, and your children on drug abuse and misuse.
“If you want to kill a bug, use nicotine from your cigarette.”
“They knew that nicotine was addictive and they knew that cigarettes caused cancer.”
“If you have a vape pod… the nicotine in that one pod is equivalent to one pack of Marlboro Reds.”
“There isn’t enough science behind or studies behind vaping to make it truly safe.”
“If you see eight patients a day, you’re going to average four to five of them are vaping, or have tried it, or use it regularly.”
“I don’t think it’s ever too early to have the conversation about drugs, because nicotine is a drug.”
Edie’s homepage – https://www.ediegibson.com/
Edie’s email: email@example.com
National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens – https://teens.drugabuse.gov/
National Institutes of Health – https://www.nih.gov/
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – https://www.samhsa.gov/
Thank you to Paradise Dental Technologies aka PDT for providing sponsorship for this episodes CE credits!
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go PENDING… PLEASE BE PATIENT to take the test and get your CE Credit!
Approved Pace Program Provider FAGD/MAGD Credit Approval Does Not Imply Acceptance By A State Or Provincial Board of Dentistry Or AGD Endorsement. 1/1/18- 12/31/19 Provider #373236
Be sure to thank the sponsor for CE for this episode by heading over to www.PDTDental.com and picking up a new instrument or telling them thank you in person at one of the conferences!
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca
Practice In A Pod is the best source for all things dental podcast! Get complete dental podcast listings, episode links and show notes, and complete archives of your favorite dental podcasts.
Don't know what's out there? Practice In A Pod gives you the latest dental podcast episodes as soon as they are aired on the iTunes podcasting network.
Send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to add your favorite dental podcast or will be launching one soon.