Listen to the episode:
For most dentists, starting out is the hardest phase…
You may be an apprentice, trying to find an apprenticeship opportunity that may lead into a partnership, or trying to create your business plan for starting your own dental practice.
Today’s guest, Dr. Graham Dersley has been there, and he sat down with me to share his wisdom with the Ambitious Dentist community.
Dr. Graham Dersley is a prosthodontist who has had a unique first decade in private practice.
- What appealed most to Dr. Dersley about dentistry
- How Dr. Dersley went about taking over and owning his first practice
- The tough legal conversation Dr. Dersley had to have when taking over his first practice (and some ideas for how to avoid or overcome this problem)
- Dr. Dersley’s thoughts on setting BIG goals that are a stretch to accomplish
- How setting big goals can sometimes lead to a feeling of disappointment
- Why Dr. Dersley sold his first practice and decided to focus his attention elsewhere (even though business was booming and things were good)
- What Dr. Dersley looks for in markets when he’s starting a new practice (this is for you if you are wanting to start a new practice)
- The key thinks Dr. Dersley took away from running a successful practice, that allowed his next venture to be a success
- The mistakes Dr. Dersley made with staffing that he had to fix in order to grow his practice and business
- The ONE thing Dr. Dersley focuses his energy on when starting a new practice
- How Dr. Dersley created a team that matched the culture he wanted to create in his practice
- Why most practice owners think managing a staff is a disadvantage (and why that’s actually a HUGE leg-up as a business owner and operator)
Free Episode Bonus:
Quotes – Click To Share On Twitter:
- “One of the big appeals to me that dentistry had was the opportunity to be your own boss.” Dr. Dersley
- On making a successful practice: “There’s no silver bullet. All of them together add up.” – Dr. Dersley
- “I’m a believer that one of the best things about owning your business is you have the capability to surround yourself with who you want to work with.” – Dr. Dersley
- “A lot of people see managing staff as a disadvantage of being a business owner.” – Dr. Dersley
- “A much better model is to hire someone who is a better fit for your office and pay them a good wage.” – Dr. Dersley
- “Sometimes you don’t know who the best staff is until you work with them for a little while.” – Dr. Dersley
- “You have to get the right people on board.” – Dr. Dersley
- “If you do things in the right order, you save yourself months of costs and expense in time.” Dr. Dersley
- Dental Town
- Join Dr. Dersley’s here: Practice On Fire
- Dr. Dersley’s Mastermind
- Practice On Fire Seminar
- Contact Dr. Dersley here
Practice In A Pod is the best source for all things dental podcast! Get complete dental podcast listings, episode links and show notes, and complete archives of your favorite dental podcasts.
Don't know what's out there? Practice In A Pod gives you the latest dental podcast episodes as soon as they are aired on the iTunes podcasting network.
Send us a message at email@example.com if you want to add your favorite dental podcast or will be launching one soon.