Listen to the episode:
Having trouble watching this video? Click here.
Patient Attraction Episode 1243
– I’m Colin Receveur, CEO of SmartBox.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast.
– “Dentist” is consistently ranked as one of the 2 best professions.
– That ranking is based on working conditions, work-life balance, and earning potential, among other factors.
– But if you talk with a lot of dentists like I do, you’d be hard-pressed to believe that dentistry is all that great.
– The dentists I talk with describe themselves as being on roller skates, rushing between rooms trying to keep up with jam-packed schedules.
– They’re doing a huge amount of routine exams, drill and fills, and maybe a crown once in a while.
– They’re staying open longer and even on more days to try to meet the demand.
– And they’re very, very tired.
– To be sure, the younger dentists are holding up better than their more experienced peers.
– But that kind of schedule is hard on anybody.
– Now, if these dentists were making a lot of money, it might all be worth it.
– But you know what?
– They’re not making anywhere near what they should be for all that hard work.
– Insurance is a big reason why dentists’ average case value isn’t all that great.
– Patients come in looking for only the care that insurance will cover.
– And with dental insurance companies shifting costs to patients, the policies cover less and less.
– I’m sure it’s not news to you that dental insurance reimbursements are dropping.
– And all that insurance billing eats up huge amounts of staff time.
– Beyond insurance, practices are competing for prospects who are basically driven by price and convenience.
– Price wars between dental practices are very common, with one dentist undercutting another’s price only to be undercut by another practice.
– Trying to offer the lowest price cuts margins to the bone.
– So, to sum up what I hear from dentists all over the country – dentists are working too hard for too long for too little.
– Some of them are wearing out, or afraid that they will.
– And they’re bored, which may be the worst part of what’s going on right now.
– The patients they’re seeing require only a fraction of their expertise.
– Those dentists aren’t feeling professionally gratified.
– They just feel like they’re in an endurance contest.
– If any of this resonates with you, it’s time to make some changes.
– Dentistry doesn’t have to be this way, but to make dentistry everything it should be, you’ll need to change your marketing approach.
– You need better dental patients.
– Just ask Dr. Kevin McMahon of Edgewood, Kentucky.
– He said, “When I saw SmartBox, I said, ‘Hey, that’s cool.
– “‘They do it all.
– “‘They’ll do my website, they’ll do my Google AdWords, they’ll do my organic search, follow up with me, they’ll meet with me.’
– “I liked that aspect of it.
– “I’m being more productive in things that I’m doing.
– “I’m moving toward the larger cases, implants, things like that, and have associates do other work.”
– What SmartBox has helped Dr. McMahon achieve, we can help you achieve.
– If you’re ready to change the model for your practice – from high-volume to high-quality patients – here’s your first step.
– Visit smartboxdentalmarketing.com and reserve your free, no-obligation Practice Discovery Session.
– We’ll schedule a 25-minute phone call with you and use the results from that call to create your completely personalized Patient Attraction Roadmap.
– Your free, no-obligation Roadmap will give you recommendations for thriving in your market.
– Use it however you wish – it’s completely free.
– Dentistry shouldn’t be an endurance contest.
– With SmartBox, it won’t be.
– Join me for our next podcast.
– Until then, keep moving forward.
Practice In A Pod is the best source for all things dental podcast! Get complete dental podcast listings, episode links and show notes, and complete archives of your favorite dental podcasts.
Don't know what's out there? Practice In A Pod gives you the latest dental podcast episodes as soon as they are aired on the iTunes podcasting network.
Send us a message at email@example.com if you want to add your favorite dental podcast or will be launching one soon.